The Parish, Town and City Councils of Wiltshire and Swindon play a vital role in the effective management of local community affairs and in encouraging and supporting locally based community initiatives.
Wiltshire Association of Local Councils (WALC) is a membership organisation with local councils from across Wiltshire and Swindon in membership.
Wiltshire's Rural Community Council, Community First provides the secretariat to WALC, in turn helping it to provide specialised support services to Town and Parish Councils including;
- Providing support and advice to council clerks and chairmen in the day-to-day business of running a council, this includes a direct-line service for members and access to legal advice from the National Association of Local Councils
- Providing the secretariat to WALC’s Executive Committee
- Providing training for council members and clerks on a wide range of administration, legal, procedural and community topics and providing the secretariat to the Wiltshire & Swindon Training Partnership for Town & Parish Councils.
- Producing and disseminating a county circular, which includes a newsletter, legislation and policy updates, information on consultations and other issues relevant to the sector, to local councils in WALC membership
- Organising conferences and seminars on new legislation and best practice
- Lobbying regional and national government in support of local issues
- Working with local councils to develop beneficiary services such as cost saving insurance